Portrush will soon be buzzing with excitement as golf’s 148th Open comes to town. The tournament will be played from 14th – 21st July 2019 on the world famous Royal Portrush golf course by many of world’s top golfers while tens of thousands will be there every day to watch.
Of course the golf is a massive attraction this year, but year on year we are seeing more and more tourists coming to Northern Ireland, with the Causeway Coast usually top of the list of places to see. Stunning, moody scenery, the wild Atlantic Ocean and lots of places of interest including the world-famous Giants Causeway – we have captured many of those places on camera so you can have a beautiful and unique Nebo seascape of the Causeway Coast hanging on your wall to remind you of your visit here.
Some interesting facts about Royal Portrush Golf Club and the town –
- The Open was last held at Royal Portrush in 1951 and was won by Max Faulkner
- Royal Portrush was formed in 1888 as a 9 hole course, extended to 18 holes a year later
- The course that the Open will be played on is known as the Dunluce Links, named after the nearby Dunluce Castle, now in ruins, but which was built around 1500
- Portrush’s 3 beaches are all Blue Flag beaches – West and East Strands and The White Rocks
- Portrush is also famous for the NW200 road races attracting many thousands of bikers to the North Coast each year
- Portrush is home to around 7,000 full time residents but with students at the nearby University and tourists this number regularly rises to 20,000. We would think those numbers will be much higher during the Open!
So if you are intending to travel to Portrush for the 148th Open or as a visitor to the Causeway Coast we hope you really enjoy your stay. If you would like a lasting and visual memory of your visit why not treat yourself to a Nebo seascape or landscape of the area. Browse and buy online from the Nebo Collection here.